- 1 out of every 3 Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems. Make sure to inspect you lights for exposed wires and broken bulbs.
- DO NOT connect more than 3 strands of mini light sets together
- DO NOT connect more than 50 screw-in-bulb lights (not sets, individual light bulbs)
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that burns
- 2 out of 5 home decorations fires are started by candles
- 1 in every 6 fires are caused by Christmas trees too close to a heat sources. Make sure to have them at least 3 feet from any heat source.
- Water your Christmas tree everyday. A dry tree is a dangerous tree.
- Although live Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are dangerous. On average, 1 of every 40 reported home Christmas tree fires resulted in death.
Click the picture to visit the U.S. Fire Administration website for videos and a downloadable poster.